Rabbinic Convocation 5770/2010
On Thursday, May 27, 2010, a select group of distinguished Rabbis were each awarded an honorary doctoral degree by The Jewish Theological Seminary at a special convocation at JTS in New York City.
With this degree, JTS's faculty, administration, and Board of Trustees express its collective esteem and thanks to each of these Jewish leaders for more than twenty-five years of religious leadership in the cause of Conservative Judaism and klal Yisrael.
We congratulate all of the honorees.
Order of the Exercises
Music Performed by BaRock Orchestra
View the Convocation Program.
Read Abby Joseph Cohen's welcome speech.
Read Chancellor Eisen's Convocation Address honoring members of the Conservative rabbinate.
List of Honorees
Honorary degrees were conferred upon:
- *Rabbi Hanan A. Alexander, Haifa, Israel
- Rabbi Leslie J. Alexander, Los Gatos, California
- Rabbi Robert Lawrence Alpert, Penn Valley, Pennsylvania
- Rabbi Kenneth Louis Cohen, Bethesda, Maryland
- Rabbi Jeremy Collick, Edgware, England
- Rabbi Mark Steven Diamond, Los Angeles, California
- Rabbi Charles E. Dobrusin, Highland Park, Illinois
- Rabbi Robert Mark Dobrusin, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Rabbi Richard Lewis Eisenberg, Orange, Connecticut
- Rabbi Martin Jacob Flax, Jerusalem, Israel
- Rabbi Matthew Joel Futterman, Chicago, Illinois
- Rabbi Dov Gartenberg, Long Beach, California
- Rabbi Jonathan Hillel Ginsburg, Skokie, Illinois
- Rabbi Joshua Jonathan Hammerman, Stamford, Connecticut
- *Rabbi Robert A. Harris, New York, New York
- Rabbi Ian S. Jacknis, Melville, New York
- Rabbi Earl S. Kideckel, Holliston, Massachusetts
- Rabbi Randall J. Konigsburg, Delray Beach, Florida
- Rabbi Mordechai Levin, Omaha, Nebraska
- Rabbi Leonard Jack Lewy, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Rabbi Daniel H. Liben, Natick, Massachusetts
- Rabbi Jeffrey Martin Marker, Brooklyn, New York
- Rabbi David Joseph Nesson, Morristown, New Jersey
- Rabbi Perry Netter, Amherst, New York
- Rabbi Joel David Newman, Carlsbad, California
- Rabbi George Brian Nudell, Scotch Plains, New Jersey
- Rabbi Jonathan Avram Panitz, Baltimore, Maryland
- Rabbi Michael Edward Panitz, Norfolk, Virginia
- Rabbi Marshal A. Press, Middletown, Connecticut
- Rabbi H. David Rose, Potomac, Maryland
- Rabbi James Steven Rosen, West Hartford, Connecticut
- Rabbi Jay Rosenbaum, Mercer Island, Washington
- Rabbi Bernhard Howard Rosenberg, Edison, New Jersey
- Rabbi Aaron Daniel Rubinger, Orlando, Florida
- Rabbi Marc Stewart Sack, Tampa, Florida
- Rabbi Neil Saul Sandler, Atlanta, Georgia
- Rabbi George Schlesinger, Santa Rosa, California
- Rabbi David C. Seed, Toronto, Ontario
- Rabbi Jeffrey T. Segelman, Mamaroneck, New York
- Rabbi Ronald J. Shulman, Baltimore, Maryland
- Rabbi Michael S. Siegel, Chicago, Illinois
- Rabbi Robert Bruce Slosberg, Louisville, Kentucky
- Rabbi David Michael Steinhardt, Boca Raton, Florida
- Rabbi Yaakov Thompson, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Rabbi Lawrence Troster, Teaneck, New Jersey
- Rabbi Douglas D. Weber, Rutland, Vermont
- Rabbi Stuart G. Weinblatt, Potomac, Maryland
- Rabbi Simkha Y. Weintraub, New York, New York
- Rabbi Daniel M. Zucker, Mahopac, New York
Unless otherwise indicated, those listed above are candidates for the degree of Doctor of Divinity, honoris causa.
*An asterisk indicates that the degree is Doctor of Hebrew Letters, honoris causa.