Register and learn more about attending an Open House for Prospective Graduate and Religious-Leadership Students.
H. L. Miller Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music of The Jewish Theological Seminary are two schools devoted to Jewish musical studies. They train select advanced students as hazzanim (cantors) for congregational service or as teachers of Jewish music, choral directors, composers, or research scholars. The H. L. Miller Cantorial School awards the diploma of hazzan, and the College of Jewish Music awards the master's degree in sacred music.
Students are enrolled in both schools full-time and are expected to complete the diploma program and the master of sacred music degree simultaneously, preferably within a five-year period, leading to a career of service, through the joys of music, to the Jewish community.
Students also have the option of earning an MA in Jewish Education from the William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education or an MA from The Graduate School while pursuing their cantorial studies.
• JTS Presents: The Sacred Power of Jazz, Featuring The Juilliard Jazz Ensemble with Rodney Jones
• Watch JTS 2013 Commencement and Tekes Hasmakhah, Ceremony of Rabbinical Ordination and Cantorial Investiture
• Chancellor Eisen Addresses the 2013 Class of JTS Rabbis and Cantors at their Ordination and Investiture
• Convocation at JTS Honors Cantors for Dedicated Service
• The Jewish Theological Seminary Confers 120 Degrees at 2013 Commencement
• Steal a Pencil for Me: New Opera Based on True Holocaust Love Story to Be Performed at JTS
• JTS Presents The Juilliard Jazz Ensemble: The Jewish-African American Jazz Experience
• JTS's H. L. Miller Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music Presents "We Are Lights: Music for Chanukah," Featuring Abraham Kaplan Premiere
LISTEN AND VIEW
Listen to our choir singing Veye'etayu, one of the great classics from the Rosh Hashanah service as composed by the great nineteenth-century composer and choir director, Louis Lewandowski.
Enjoy our students singing a variety of Jewish songs:
• Mi Khamokha
• Tik'u Bahodesh Shofar
Quick Links for H. L. Miller Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music:
• The Sabin Family Music Library
• Apply to H. L. Miller Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music