Fourteen of the rabbis named in the Newsweek / Daily Beast 2012 list of "America's Top 50 Rabbis" are graduates of The Jewish Theological Seminary (JTS) in New York City.
The list ranks the 50 most influential rabbis in America, using criteria such as leadership roles, political and social influence, national and international recognition, media presence, constituency size, impact on Judaism, and influence beyond the Jewish community. This year the list features the greatest number of women in its six-year history.
The 14 alumni of The Rabbinical School (RS) and/or The Graduate School (GS) of The Jewish Theological Seminary included in the 2012 list of "America's Top 50 Rabbis" are:
• Sharon Brous (RS '01): Founding rabbi, IKAR, Los Angeles, California
• Elliot Cosgrove (RS '99): Senior rabbi, Park Avenue Synagogue; Rabbinical adviser on interfaith affairs and chair of National Outreach and Interfaith Committee, Anti-Defamation League, New York, New York
• Arthur Green (RS '67): Rector and professor of Philosophy and Religion, Hebrew College Rabbinical School, Newton Centre, Massachusetts
• Shai Held (RS, GS '99): Cofounder, rosh yeshiva, and chair in Jewish Thought of Mechon Hadar, New York, New York
• Jill Jacobs (RS, GS '03): Executive director of Rabbis for Human Rights-North America; Founding director, Ma'aseh: The Center for Jewish Social Justice Education, New York, New York
• Elie Kaunfer (RS '06, GS '07): Cofounder, rosh yeshiva, and executive director, Mechon Hadar, New York, New York
• Irwin Kula (Seminary College '78, RS '82): President, Clal, National Jewish Center for Learning, New York, New York
• Naomi Levy (RS '89): Founder, Neshuva, Los Angeles, California
• Rolando Matalon (RS '86): Rabbi, B'nai Jeshurun; Cofounder, Piyut North America, New York, New York
• Julie Schonfeld (RS '97): Executive vice president, The Rabbinical Assembly, New York, New York
• Ethan Tucker (GS '06): Cofounder, rosh yeshiva, and chair of Jewish Law, Mechon Hadar, New York, New York
• Burton L. Visotzky (RS '77, GS '83): Director, Milstein Center for Interreligious Dialogue; Louis Stein Director, Louis Finkelstein Institute for Religious and Social Studies; and Appleman Professor of Midrash, JTS, New York, New York
• Robert Wexler (RS '77): President, American Jewish University, Los Angeles, California
• David Wolpe (RS '87): Senior rabbi, Sinai Temple, Los Angeles, California
Visit JTS at www.jtsa.edu.