The Saul Lieberman Institute of The Jewish Theological Seminary Announces the Online Launch of Its Sol and Evelyn Henkind Talmud Text Databank

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Holly Martin
Office: (212) 678-8950
Email: homartin@jtsa.edu


July 7, 2011, New York, NY

The Saul Lieberman Institute of Talmud Research of The Jewish Theological Seminary has launched a new website that provides public access to its Sol and Evelyn Henkind Talmud Text Databank. This database, which previously was available only through the purchase of a CD, consists of an extraordinary collection of virtually all original documents of the Babylonian Talmud. Such documents include all full surviving manuscripts of Oriental, Ashkenazic, Sephardic, and Yemenite provenance; hundreds of complete manuscripts and first printed editions of the Babylonian Talmud; and more than a thousand fragments from the Cairo and European archives. Many of these documents are available both as texts and digital images.

Making these original documents available online provides an extremely useful tool for talmudic researchers and scholars worldwide, according to Shamma Friedman, director and founder of the Lieberman Institute. Dr. Friedman, the Benjamin and Minna Reeves Professor of Talmud and Rabbinics at The Jewish Theological Seminary, said, “The CD version of the Talmud Text Databank has already had a powerful impact on the scholarly world. Now, making the database available on the web will enable reaching a much larger usership.”

The new databank site will facilitate new forms of analysis, study, and interpretation, making it possible for researchers to perform sophisticated searches, assess variant readings of specific passages, and examine readings in the context of their original manuscript sources. To visit the Talmud Text Databank online, go to www.lieberman-institute.com.

The Lieberman Institute, which honors the memory of Professor Saul Lieberman (1898−1983) and strives to attain the high standards of scholarship and teaching that he set for his students, was founded by Dr. Friedman in 1985 to encourage innovative Talmud scholarship and provide sophisticated tools for its implementation. Dr. Friedman has been associated with JTS since he entered The Rabbinical School as a student in 1958. After ordination, he pursued a PhD at JTS and was appointed to the JTS faculty in 1964.

Visit JTS at www.jtsa.edu.

###