Jeshaia Schnitzer (d.1999), Publications.
- Dates: ca. 1949-1982
- Languages: English
- Location: Special Collections Reading Room, Jewish Theological Seminary Library.
- Restrictions: Reproduction of fragile items is not permitted; consult the archivist about literary rights.
- Gift Of: Jeshaia Schnitzer
- Related Collections: Records of Congregation Shomrei Emunah, Montclair, NJ
Table of Contents:
A Note on Folder Headings
Individual folders are identified in the following way on the left side of each folder: Name of Collection, box #/folder#, as in Ben Zion Bokser Papers, 4/22. Please use this format in citations and when referring to files for any other reason.
Jeshaia Schnitzer was a rabbi and marriage counselor. He was ordained at the Jewish Institute of Religion/Hebrew Union College, 1943, after receiving a BA from the University of Delaware in 1940. He subsequently earned a MS in social work from the Columbia University School of Social Work, 1949, and an EdD from Teachers College, Columbia University in 1953.
Rabbi Schnitzer was rabbi at Congregation Shomrei Emunah in Montclair, New Jersey from 1951 until his retirement. He has also served as a chaplain, marriage counselor, and adjunct college professor.
Schnitzer died in November, 1999 at age eighty-one.
Rabbi Schnitzer's papers consist solely of copies of publications of his writings, and two anniversary journals of Congregation Shomrei Emunah. Included are:
- "A Case Study in Jewish Community Organization," The Reconstructionist 15, October 7, 1949.
- "Book Notes," The Reconstructionist 22, April 20, 1956.
- New Horizons for the Synagogue: A Counseling Program for People (New York: Bloch, 1956).
- "A Synagogue Program in the Field of Human Relations," Adult Jewish Leadership, 5 (Winter 1957-58)
- "Rabbis and Counseling: Report on a Project," Jewish Social Studies 20 (July 1958)
- "A Malpractice Suit: Attention Rabbis!" Conservative Judaism 36 (Fall 1982)
- Review of Albert Memmi, Portrait of a Jew (New York: Orion Press, n.d.) in Jewish Social Studies, n.d.
- "The Role of the Synagogue and Jewish Communal Institutions in Strengthening Jewish Family Life," in Morris N. Kertzer, ed. The Rabbi and the Jewish Social Worker (New York: Commission on Synagogue Relations, Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, n.d.)
- Temple Shomrei Emunah Anniversary Journals:
- 61st - A Special Memorial Issue, 1967
- 68th - Honoring Dr. Jeshaia Schnitzer, Rabbi, 1974