Individual folders are identified in the following way on the left side of each folder: Name of Collection, box #/folder#, as in Ben Zion Bokser Papers, 4/22. Please use this format in citations and when referring to files for any other reason.
Frieda Schiff Warburg, 1876-1958, philanthropist, was the first woman to serve on The Jewish Theological Seminary's board of directors. She was the daughter of Jacob Schiff and the wife of Felix Warburg. When Felix Warburg died in 1937, Frieda Warburg took his place on the JTS board. In January, 1944 Frieda Warburg donated her house at 1109 Fifth Avenue to JTS. It became the home of The Jewish Museum, which opened in 1947.
For more on Frieda Schiff Warburg see Ron Chernow, The Warburgs: The Twentieth-Century Odyssey of a Remarkable Jewish Family, 1993, and the entry on Warburg in Paula Hyman and Deborah Dash Moore, Jewish Women in America: An Historical Encyclopedia, 1997.
A spiral-bound volume presented to Frieda Warburg on her seventy-fifth birthday in 1951 by the faculty of The Jewish Theological Seminary. Included in it are four photographs and a citation to Mrs. Warburg signed by members of the faculty.
The four photographs depict: an eighteenth century prayerbook whose silver cover was designed by Ilya Schor in 1949; a mantlepiece in the Warburg house with a painting of Felix Warburg, a large menorah, and other decorations; Frieda Warburg receiving a JTS honorary degree in 1945 from Louis Finkelstein with Mordecai Kaplan looking on (P3245-P3248 in the Ratner Center photograph database).