|Size:||3.75 linear ft.|
|Number of Boxes:||3|
|Location:||Special Collections Reading Room, Jewish Theological Seminary Library.|
|Restrictions:||Jewish Theological Seminary records are available for research, with permission, through 1972; records dating from 1973 and afterward are currently closed. For permission to see records of The Jewish Theological Seminary write to: Archivist, Ratner Center for the Study of Conservative Judaism, Jewish Theological Seminary, 3080 Broadway, New York, NY 10027. Reproduction of fragile items is not permitted; consult the archivist about literary rights.|
Individual folders are identified in the following way: record group# -- box# -- folder#, as in R.G.1-10-32. Please use this format in citations and when referring to files for any other reason.
This collection consists of informational publications of the Jewish Theological Seminary, 1892-1952. Included are biennial reports of The Jewish Theological Seminary Association (a precursor of The Jewish Theological Seminary of America), 1892-1904, and one, 1902-1904, of the reorganized Seminary; a chart of seminary departments, ca.1945; a pamphlet, 1903, containing published charter, by-laws, and other legal papers documenting the Seminary's reorganization in 1902; and some early publications of the Seminary's Teachers Institute including a prospectus and application form, n.d., Teachers Course information bulletin, 1903, and three Teachers Institute registers, 1910-1911, 1922-1923, 1923-1924. The bulk of the material consists of Seminary registers, 1905-1952 (with a few gaps).
The biennial reports of The Jewish Theological Seminary Association, 1892, 1894, and 1904 contain proceedings of biennial meetings. Also included are lists of advisory board members, faculty, students, honorary patrons, and subscribers. Also included is academic information concerning admission, examinations, and curriculum. The Seminary Association merged with The Jewish Theological Seminary in 1902. The 1902-1904 biennial report, published by the reorganized Jewish Theological Seminary, includes the agreement of merger and related documents. President Solomon Schechter's inaugural address is included and the inauguration is described. The address of Cyrus Adler, then president of the board of directors, is also included.
The Jewish Theological Seminary registers combine the function of a course catalog with that of an information brochure. For most years they list board members, faculty, and administrative staff, and descibe admissions requirements, courses offered, and list scholarships and prizes. Descriptions of Seminary departments, including the library, are included, as are lists of alumni and descriptions of commencement ceremonies, special lectures and other events. Photographs showing interiors and exteriors of Seminary buildings, and portraits of Seminary figures are included. The contents of the registers vary by year.
Also included here are some publications of the Seminary's Teachers Institute. These consist of: registers, 1910-1911, 1922-1923, and 1923-1924; an information bulletin describing the Teachers Course in 1903 (the Teachers Institute wasn't officially founded until 1909); and an undated prospectus which describes the curriculum and includes an application for admission.
|1||1-2||Biennial Report, 1902-1904|
|3||Chart Showing Seminary Departments, n.d. [ca. 1945]|
|4||Circular of Information, 1903-1904|
|5||Documents, Charter, and By-Laws, 1903|
[includes deed of gift, act of incorporation, agreement of merger, endowment fund]
|Jewish Theological Seminary Association Biennian Reports:|
|13a||Winter Term Schedules, 1984-95 - 1899-00 (missing 1897-98)|
|14||Preliminary Announcement, 1902|
|14a||Schedule of Studies, 1904-1905, including Course of Lectures in Philanthropy (one copy, from Rare Book Room)|
|16||Teachers College Prospectus and Application for Admission, n.d.|
[at Uptown Talmud Torah, E. 111th St.]
|17||Teachers Course, 1903|
|Teachers Institute Registers:|