This Zionist Shekel certificate was issued to Shimon Yosef Greenberg, a member
of the Mizrachi (religious Zionist) movement in Szydlowic, Poland. The
certificate is inscribed in English, Hebrew and Yiddish. English began to play
a particularly prominent role in Zionist politics after the Balfour Declaration
(November, 1917) and the transfer of the Zionist world center to London, under
the leadership of Chaim Weizmann.